First Look: Polar V800
Multisport-friendly GPS from the pioneering brand to hit the shelves in 2014
Launching in the UK in April 2014, Polar has unveiled what the Finnish pioneers believe is the world’s most advanced training computer. The Polar V800 is designed for pro athletes and top age-groupers alike and is the current monitor of choice of the reigning Ironman World champ, Frederik Van Lierde.
The Polar V800 features an integrated GPS and supports multiple sports, from running, cycling and swimming to skiing and a triathlon function. Each sport has its own customisable profile, and the Polar V800 is said to seamlessly change between sports, recording your full performance, including transition times between each discipline.
Key features of the V800 include:
· Integrated GPS – fast, accurate speed, distance and route measurement.
· An integrated activity tracker that automatically adjusts your recovery status to give a true account of how much rest you get in between hard sessions.
· Instant analysis and in-depth insights into all your training and recovery on the Polar V800 when used with the Polar Flow web service.
· Records your heart rate even while swimming and includes the most accurate altitude readings with a built-in barometric pressure sensor.
· Rechargeable battery which offers up to 14 hours of training time, 50 hours in low power GPS mode, or 30 days in time mode with 24/7 activity monitoring.
· Running Index data shows your aerobic fitness and running economy.
· Orthostatic Test to help you avoid over-training by gaining insight into recovery status over the long term. You can access four weeks of your training history at the touch of a button
· Gorilla Glass face set in stainless steel with an aluminum core and soft, breathable polyurethane straps.
· Updatable software which will allow users to add new features from the comfort of their own home as they become available. The wireless connection to a smartphone creates the possibility for further features, such as SMS notification and music control, which will be added as updates later in 2014.
· Power monitoring function for serious cyclists, which will be available mid-2014 to be used in conjunction with new Bluetooth Smart power pedals.
The Polar V800 with integrated GPS will be available around the world in April for a suggested retail price of €399.90 (around £331) or €449.90 (£372) with heart rate sensor. It’ll be available in black initially with a blue version available from June 2014.
We’ll be getting our mitts on the V800 soon but, for now, head to www.polarv800.com