Should I get swim socks or booties?
First off, if you’re looking to actually swim then go for neoprene swim socks as opposed to booties. Boots are great for when you need to clamber across rocks but are also good at creating extra drag in the water and generally weighing you down. Swim socks are more flexible and will allow more freedom to kick, useful if you need to get going sharpish.
- Best cold water swim hats
- Best cold water swimming gloves
- Cold-water swim kit: 8 essential pieces to keep you warm and safe
- Swim robes: 3 of the best
- Cold water swimming: How to acclimatise for an extreme triathlon or late season swimming
- How to adapt to cold water swimming and extend your open water swimming season into winter
What makes good swim socks?
A decent thickness of neoprene will keep your toes toasty, we’d recommend at least 3mm. It pays to find socks that fit snugly as these will insulate better, look for tight closures or socks that have a secure band above the ankle. Another handy feature is if the socks have grippy soles, so you’re not a complete slippy seal sliding over rocks to your wild swim spot.
Here are our top pick of under £20 affordable swim socks
In price order, below is our list of neoprene socks that won’t break the bank but should keep you swimming for longer in that cold water this winter:
At just £10.60, you can’t go wrong with these ZCCO 3mm neoprene socks. They’re also heavily discounted and have a choice of black, grey or pink! Buy from LightintheBox.
Check out these £13.99 QKURT 3mm neoprene socks, popular on Amazon. Buy from Amazon.
These PAWHITS 3mm neoprene socks are £14.49. 220’s Kate has tested these and is impressed by their snug fit and grippy soles. Buy from Amazon.
These £15.99 RTDEP 3mm neoprene socks have a fastening along the top and anti-slip soles. Buy from Amazon.
Available in a range of colours these £17.99 Cressi neoprene socks seem popular, yet they are only 1.5mm. Buy from Amazon.
Slightly above £20 but if you’re after a tried and tested favourite, look no further than dhb‘s £22 swim booties 2.0 3mm. Buy from Wiggle.
- How to manage Raynaud’s Syndrome when open-water swimming
- How to manage Raynaud’s Syndrome when running
- How to warm your cold body up after open-water swimming
- How can I alleviate chilblains?