Vegan Kale, Quinoa and Squash Salad with Tahini Dressing
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
For the salad
- 300g quinoa
- 1 butternut squash, deseeded and cubed
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 orange zest
- 1 lemon zest
- 500g kale, tear into pieces, discard stems
- 25g flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
For the tahini dressing
- 3tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove peeled and crushed
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 2tbsp orange juice
- 5tbsp warm water
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- STEP 1
Preheat oven to 180°c. Place the squash on a baking tray, toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, plus salt and pepper. Bake for 30mins until golden. Set aside to cool.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, rinse quinoa under cold running water. Transfer to a pan and top up with double the amount of salted water. Over a medium heat, bring to the boil and then simmer for 10-15mins.
- STEP 3
Transfer to a bowl. Mix in 1 tbsp olive oil, cumin, garlic, orange and lemon zest (keeping a little for decoration).
- STEP 4
Make the dressing: combine the tahini, garlic and citrus juices in a mixing bowl, then whisk in the water until you have a creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Then steam the kale until tender.
- STEP 5
Combine the squash, kale and quinoa. Serve in a large flat bowl, garnish with the fresh parsley, lemon and orange zest, and drizzle over the tahini dressing.