Tofu, mushroom and beetroot burger
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus 30mins to chill
- Makes 6 burgers
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 3-4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 170g tofu, finely diced
- 180g cooked beetroot, finely diced
- 100g tinned black beans, drained
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp miso or tahini paste
- 1 tbsp oat flour
- 1 tbsp milled flaxseed
- 2 tbsps cooked spelt rice
- 1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps pecans, chopped
- 6 large mushrooms
- 6 burger buns
- STEP 1
Fry the onion and celery in 1 tbsp oil until soft then add to a large bowl. Now add the beetroot, tofu, beans, tomato purée, miso or tahini, oat flour, flaxseed and spelt rice. Blend half the mixture until smooth.
- STEP 2
Spoon back into the bowl and combine with the unblended mixture. Stir in the coriander and pecans and season well. Shape the mixture into burger-sized patties and refrigerate for about 30mins.
- STEP 3
Heat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Arrange mushrooms on a baking tray, season well, drizzle with 2 tbsps olive oil and bake for 20mins.
- STEP 4
Brush each burger with oil, add to a frying pan over a medium heat and cook for 5mins each side.
- STEP 5
Toast the buns then add a burger and mushroom to each one. Add toppings and sauce of choice.