Peanut and sweet potato soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet potato (4-500g), with peel, diced into cubes
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Berbere spice
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 small red chilli, seeds removed & finely chopped
- 1 litre hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsps crunchy peanut butter
- Juice of 1 lime
- 25g unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
- 25g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Heat the coconut oil on a low heat in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion for a few mins.
Add the sweet potato, celery, Berbere and ground ginger and fry for a further 1-2mins.
Add the chilli and 1 tbsp of the peanut butter.
- STEP 2
Stir in the stock and bring the mixture to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15mins until the sweet potato is tender.
Purée the soup in a blender until smooth.
Pour back into the saucepan, add the lime juice and season to taste.
- STEP 3
Stir in the remaining 1 tbsp peanut butter. If the soup is too thick, thin down with more stock.
- STEP 4
Serve in bowls, sprinkled with the coriander and peanuts.