Italian chicken sandwiches
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 thick slices of crusty wholemeal, sourdough or granary bread
- 1 pre-cooked chicken breast
- 1 small baby gem lettuce, shredded
- 1 tbsp pitted black olives, chopped
- Handful baby tomatoes, quartered
- 5 small radishes, quartered
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ a ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- Handful flaked almonds
- 1 tsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
For the dressing
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- STEP 1
Firstly, make the dressing in a small bowl. Start with the mustard and then, using a small hand whisk or a teaspoon, whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Whisk in the lemon juice and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- STEP 2
Shred or finely chop the chicken. Transfer to a bowl and add all the salad ingredients and toss together with the seasoning.
- STEP 3
Stir in a tablespoon of the dressing and gently combine. Add more dressing if you like, but you don’t want too much or your bread will go soggy.
- STEP 4
Lay out two bread slices and spoon an equal amount of mixture on each slice (or save one portion in the fridge, covered, for the next day’s sandwich). Top with the remaining slices. Transfer to a sandwich box or wrap carefully in foil and enjoy for your lunch later.