A warming and spicy one to add to your training repertoire – Chickpea dhal with coconut and kale.
Loaded with the good stuff, you can’t go wrong with this dish; it’s a good vegetarian source of protein and is also rich in fibre and vitamins A and C.
You’ve also got the added benefit from the anti-inflammatory properties of the ginger, garlic and spice. Serve with brown basmati rice or naan bread.
- Coconut oil 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon stick
- cumin seeds, ground tumeric, ground coriander 1 tsp each
- Dried chilli 1/2 tsp
- Veg stock 250ml
- Coconut cream 100ml
- Kale leaves 200g, finely chopped
- onion 1, finely sliced
- fresh coriander 25g, roughly chopped
- garlic 3 cloves, 1 crushed, 2 finely sliced
- tomatoes 400g can, roughly chopped
- chickpeas 400g can, drained
- fresh ginger 2cm piece, grated
Three alternative flavour combinations:
- Roasted cauliflower: Parboil cauliflower florets and roast in a little oil for 30mins until soft and golden brown. Add at step 3, swapping the kale out for the cauliflower.
- Black lentil: Cook black ‘urid’ lentils according to pack, then replace chickpeas for lentils. Omit the kale. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to step 4.
- Dhal soup: Increase the stock to 600ml. At step 3 blend the mix before adding the coconut cream. Swap kale for spinach and continue to step 4.