The World Triathlon Corporation has introduced a new “Race Transfer Policy” for all European and South African Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races. This initiative has been shaped by the opinions of hundreds of Ironman athletes.
Effective immediately, the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) will substantially change its withdrawal policy for all1 European and South African Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races.
For an administration fee of 25 GBP, athletes can transfer their race entry regardless of their reason, and all athletes already entered, or signing up for an Ironman and Ironman 70.3 race prior to December 31st 2011 are automatically enrolled.
“We are offering athletes who can’t make it to a race they originally signed up for a unique chance to still fulfill their dream of finishing an Ironman or Ironman 70.3 in the very same year by choosing an alternate race”, says Stefan Petschnig, Executive Manager WTC for Europe and South Africa.
WTC’s existing policy, which allows for an athlete’s cancellation of a race, remains untouched by the new program.
Note: Ironman 70.3 Antwerp (July 22nd, 2012) excluded
Race Transfer Policy / Rules
• all athletes that sign up for an Ironman or Ironman 70.3 race in Europe or South
Africa before 31 December 2011 are automatically enrolled. Athletes can still
withdraw and receive a refund according to the existing rules. However, the race
entries can now be transferred up until two months prior to the date of the race
the athlete originally signed up for.
• it is not possible to transfer an entry more than once. Race entry transfers are
25 GBP regardless of the reason for the athlete’s transfer.
• entries for races before August 25th 2012 can only be transferred to races within
the same calendar year. Entries for races after August 25th can be transferred to
any race prior to June 30th 2013.
• race entries cannot be transferred to any sold-out Ironman or Ironman 70.3
• upgrades between Ironman 70.3 and Ironman races are possible, the fee of 25
GBP and the difference in the entry fee will be charged.
• it is also possible to downgrade a race, although the difference in entry fee will not
• race entries can not be transferred to another athlete.
Race Transfer Policy/Step By Step
• athletes download the electronic withdrawal form to be found on the event website (e.g. www.ironmanuk.com). They need to complete it and send it to email@example.com
• athletes opting for a transfer will pay 25 GBP and receive a code that’ll allow them to sign up for an alternate race. In case of an upgrade or a difference in entry fees athletes will receive the code after paying for the transfer and the entry fee difference.