WTS Montreal will make its debut a week after WTS Edmonton on August 5-6.
Montreal debuted on the 2016 World Cup schedule earlier this month with great success as thousands of spectators lined the streets to cheer on triathletes just ahead of the Olympic Games.
“Montreal proved to be an impressive host of the World Cup this year, with an incredible turnout for a new race that met all of our standards for a world class event,” said ITU President and IOC Member Marisol Casado. “I’m pleased to welcome Montreal to the WTS, which completes our calendar for the coming season.”
It is one of nine cities to host a WTS race across four continents. Rotterdam, which this year organised the ITU Paratriathlon World Championships, will also debut on the WTS in 2017.
Rotterdam will next year welcome thousands of age group athletes, along with junior, U23, paratriathlon & elite athletes to vie for world championship titles at the ITU World Triathlon Grand Final.
2017 ITU World Triathlon Series calendar:
• Abu Dhabi, UAE – March 3-4
• Gold Coast, Australia – April 8-9
• Yokohama, Japan – May 13-14
• Leeds, England – June 10-11
• Hamburg, Germany – July 15-16
• Edmonton, Canada – July 28-30
• Montreal, Canada – August 5-6
• Stockholm, Sweden – August 26-27
• Rotterdam, Netherlands – September 14-17
Abu Dhabi, Gold Coast, Hamburg and Edmonton will be contested over a sprint distance course, while the remaining WTS races will be standard distance.