It was just a year ago that Yvonne van Vlerken set the Quelle Roth Challenge Iron distance race record with a time of 8:45:48 in Southern Germany. But, this weekend, Britain’s Chrissie Wellington came within two minutes of breaking the magic 8:30 mark with a winning time of 8:31:59.
The win continues Chrissie’s unbeaten Ironman record and adds to her two consecutive Kona titles. While the odds of her adding a hat-trick of Hawaii titles are shortening by the day, it wasn’t all downbeat news for the chasing field. Rebekah Keat gained on Chrissie during the run to come in second seven minutes behind and Scotland’s Cat Morrison, in only her first IM distance event, came in third in 8:48:11. 220’s 20th anniversary issue, out July 28th, finds Chrissie meeting the Ironman legend Paula Newby Fraser.
The Quelle Roth Challenge used to be the Ironman Germany race until the World Triathlon Corporation moved the Ironman Germany to Frankfurt. Since that time the race organizers have expanded the Quelle Challenge (including a new race in Copenhagen for 2010) into a series of both full and half distance triathlons that aim to compete with the Ironman races.
Top Ten Women
1. WELLINGTON, Chrissie (GBR) 8:31:59 (50:28/4:40:28/2:57:32)
2. KEAT, Rebekah (AUS) 8:39:24 (+7:25) (50:21/4:50:10/2:55:28)
3. MORRISON, Catriona (SCO) 8:48:11 (+16:12) (51:46/4:48:55/3:03:57)
4. CSOMOR, Erika (HUN) 8:59:42 (+27:43)
5. GRANGER, Belinda (AUS) 9:12:12 (+40:13) 6. JACOBS, Jessica (USA) 9:25:24 (+53:25)
7. RABE, Katja (GER) 9:25:43 (+53:44)
8. BEST, Nicole (GER) 9:31:02 (+59:03)
9. IPPACH, Anja (GER) 9:37:08 (+1:05:09)
10. WAITZ, Christine (GER) 9:42:21 (+1:10:22)