Despite being a relatively small piece of kit, the humble head torch can make a huge difference to your after-dark training sessions, especially in the winter. Not only do they help you see where you’re going and avoid tripping over obstacles, but they also keep you safe on the road.
We’ve rounded up the best running head torches on the market to help you find the right one for you. But first, here’s a quick list of the factors you might want to consider when choosing your favourite product:
- Brightness – Around 200-400 lumens of power will offer a good amount of light for running.
- Distance – Some head torches can illuminate a distance of up to 100m in front of you; it’s worth considering whether ‘flood lighting’ is important to you.
- Light settings – Many torches have a range of modes, including flashing and energy-saving programmes.
- Weatherproofing – If you want a head torch you can wear in all weathers, it’s a good idea to go for a waterproof one. Some even function when submerged in water, so you can take them on brief swim sessions too.
- Weight – Most running head torches are under 150g in weight, and some are under 50g, so consider how light you’d like yours to be.
- Rear light – Having a rear light as well as a front torch will keep you safe when running on roads. Some products have an actual light, while others use a reflective strip to keep you safe.
- Light colours – Many runners like having the option to use a red light, which helps you maintain night vision.
- Battery life – It’s always worth checking how long you’ll be able to use your head torch on its highest energy setting – you don’t want to be caught out during a long run.
- Recharge system – You may prefer to invest in a head torch you can recharge with a USB cable, as opposed to one with batteries you have to change.
The best running head torches to buy
Lifesystems Intensity 230
If you’re looking for a head torch for added visibility on low-light runs but aren’t planning to go full-on Bear Grylls, this is a great choice. With 280 lumens, USB charging and seven different modes, this neat and lightweight little light is superb value.
Another lightweight package, the Actik offers a similar weight and spec to the Lifesytems but with slightly more brightness at 300 lumens. It takes three AAA batteries but a rechargeable battery is available. Red night vision lighting will stop you blinding run buddies!
Exposure lights HT1000
With a dazzling 1,000 lumens housed in an aluminium casing, this bad boy is designed for trail running where you absolutely have to see where you’re putting your feet. Visibility is up to 125m on full and the rechargeable battery is rear-mounted for comfort.
The Petzl Bindi is the lightest head torch on our list, weighing just 35g, yet it kicks out 200 lumens of power and has a micro USB port for easy charging. As an added benefit, it’s completely weatherproof, so you don’t need to worry about wearing it in the rain.
Ideal for group runs, this head torch from LEDLENSER comes with a chest strap, so you can wear it lower down to avoid blinding your friends. Other handy features include its red rear light and early warning signal when the battery is running low.
Mountain Warehouse Extreme COB LED
For a choice of light colours, opt for the Extreme COB LED Head Torch. You’ll be able to select red, white or green LEDs, as well as three different light settings: low, high and flashing. The lights reach 120m in front of you, and there’s a rear safety light to alert anyone coming up behind you.
BioLite HeadLamp 330
Integrated into a thin, moisture-wicking headband, this torch has a streamlined design and sits comfortably on your forehead. Turn it on and you’ll get 330 lumens of power, which you can recharge from a micro-USB cable. The beam reaches up to 100m ahead of you, but there’s also a ‘spot’ setting if you want a smaller patch of light.
This head torch should stay in position, as it comes with a secondary strap to keep it secure while you’re running. It’s also waterproof and it has a standard and an eco mode, as well as a flash setting.
In the dimmer eco-friendly programme, the torch has up to 22 hours of battery life, and it’s simple to charge, thanks to the included micro-USB cable.
Black Diamond Spot 350
This option from Black Diamond is a great all-purpose head torch. It has a range of different modes, including strobe lighting and red for night-vision. Plus, it gives out 350 lumens, so it’s a bright little light.
What’s more, it’ll work well up to 1.1m underwater for half an hour, and it’ll remember your previous light setting when you turn it on, saving you precious time.
More essential running kit
- Running backpacks: 3 of the best
- Run headphones: 3 of the best
- 3 of the best run hats and caps
- Run tee shirts: 3 of the best for men reviewed
- Triathlon race-day run shoes: 9 of the best for racing the final leg
- Winter run training shoes: 10 of the best reviewed
- Winter running: what you should wear to stay warm