5 easy, energy boosting, recipes for triathletes in training
Jon Hodgkinson, nutritionist with Triathlon Coaching UK and founder of Real Food Func, shares 5 energy boosting recipes for everything from breakfasts to dinners, snacks to soups.
Salmon Burger with Green Bean Quinoa
My salmon burgers will provide you with a balanced mix of protein, carbohydrates and fats whilst also giving your brain a boost of omega-3 fatty acids. Read through this recipe and make more than you need to put yourself ahead of the game with leftovers for lunch in the coming days…
Prep Time: 15 minutes (Store for 20 minutes)
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
3 Salmon Fillets
3 Large Sweet Potatoes
1 Red Onion
Handful of Coriander
Thumb sized piece Ginger
1/4 cup Quinoa (Per Person Per Portion)
1 Organic Chicken Or Vegetable Stock Cube
Handful Green Beans (Per Person Per Portion)
1 ½ Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Natural Yoghurt – (Per Person to serve)
Lemon – to serve
1 Handful Fresh Coriander
1. Chop 3 large sweet potatoes into cubes, keeping the skins on, and put to boil until soft (around 8-10 minutes).
2. Skin 2 salmon fillets and cut into small pieces, taking care not to break up too much, and set to one side.
3. Finely slice then chop 1 red onion and a large handful of coriander along with a thumb sized piece ginger, which you’ll need to peel first. Then add all of this to a dish with 1 tbsp olive oil.
4. Mash the sweet potato and mix all ingredients together, folding gently as to not break up the salmon.
5. Form into patties (around 10) by taking a palm sized portion of the mixture and shaping in your hands, then place on greaseproof paper and leave to set in fridge for 20 minutes.
6. Set your oven to 180°C.
7. Finely slice the green beans – do enough to create meals for the coming days too. Rinse the quinoa and add to a pan with enough water to cover by around 1cm, along with the stock cube.
8. Bring to the boil then reduce to a gentle simmer for around 15-18 minutes ensuring you mix to break up the stock cube.
9. Place your salmon burgers in the oven on 180° C for around 15-18 minutes, flip after 10 minutes using a spatula, being careful not to break up your burgers.
10. Place your finely sliced green beans into a steamer and cook for around 10 minutes. Add flavour to the quinoa by mixing through a handful of fresh chopped coriander before serving.
When cooked serve 2 salmon burgers with your quinoa & green beans along with natural yoghurt and squeeze of lemon.