GearBikeTime Trial/Triathlon bikes
Up close with Holly Lawrence's new bike, the Trek Speed Concept 9.9
2016 Ironman 70.3 world champ Lawrence plans to destroy many a 90km bike leg this season on her new ride
I joined Trek at the beginning of this year ; they were a company that I’ve been wanting to work with for a long time. I’ve just always loved their bikes, what they stand for and that they stay ahead of the game in terms of technology – I obviously want to be as fast as possible and the Speed Concept 9.9 is Trek’s fastest TT bike.
The bike is so adjustable that it fits me as opposed to me trying to fit to a bike, which has been the case with previous brands. It has so many options to tweak the position. It’s sleek looking with everything integrated – Trek really have thought of everything with this bike.
Trek got me fitted with the help of Paraic McGlynn at Cyclologic in Arizona. It was a pretty intensive couple of days that included a full biomechanical analysis, using 360° video, pressure mapping and a whole bunch of gizmos in a fit studio, as well as testing the position out on the road.
I haven’t done any aero testing yet but will definitely be looking to do something like that soon
1. For racing I ride Bontrager Aeolus 6 tubular front and Bontrager disc on the rear, which is just so light. The Aeolus 6 front isn’t actually out to the public yet but has tested faster than their deeper section wheels.
2. Trek 3D printed a mount for my SRM head unit so it’s integrated to the TT bars.
3. The frame is Speed Concept with a Project One custom paint job in the Trek Factory Racing team colours.
4. I run a 54/39 11-28 set-up. A lot of people run a 11-26 cassette but I love having the option of a 28 and being able to use a higher cadence as much as possible.
5. There’s a Bontrager rubberised bento box that fixes into the frame where I put Clif Shot Bloks in to race. I have a rear bottle cage as I’m trying to get away from bottles on the frame, which is a slower set-up, and a bottle cage on the TT bars.
Up close with Flora Duffy's bike, the Scott Foil
Up close with Joe Skipper's bike, the Guerciotti Eclipse
Up close with Javier Gomez's bike, the S-Works Shiv
Meet Sebastian Kienle's tri bike, the Scott Plasma 5