Wet weather running

10 messages
27/07/2009 at 12:29
Just wondering what you guys do for running in bad weather. I don't really mind running in rain but don't have a proper jacket for it yet and it can get a bit soggy. So do you

Run in the gym instead as you don't want to get ill (or is that an old wives tale, water never hurt anone)

Run in a special water resistant expensive bit of kit

Run as normal and enjoy the "being at one with nature"

Some of the best things in life may be free, but the very best comes as three.

London Duathlon (Short Course) - 1hr 15m 45sec
27/07/2009 at 12:36
It depends on how bad it is. Nothing better than being outdoors anyway. If it's light'ish, then just go out and get wet. If it's heavier, then I have a 2XU jacket which keeps the worse of it off. Heavier again, then I wear my cycling jacket (which if fully waterproof, but slightly heavier). Truly pi55ing down, then on with on the trails and jump in all the puddles. Like bing a kid again.

Treadmill generally only when it's dark.

2010: White Horse Challenge, Dragon Ride, RoW Sprint, IM UK 70.3, Eastnor Castle Middle Distance, IM UK: All boxes ticked
2011: Now to go faster. Then IronMan Wales came along, so the speedwork can wait until 2012
md6
27/07/2009 at 12:44
I love running in the rain so unless it is really lashing it down and freeezing cold then i just go as normall and have a great time. If it is lashing down and really cold, i might consider wearing a semi-waterproof jacket and a cap, oh and maybe tights not shorts.

Running in the rain is the best

Run hard, run fast, don't die...

27/07/2009 at 12:48
I like running in the rain. Often go faster. It's a kind of man against the elements thing I think. If it's cold I'll wear my waterproof cycling jacket, otherwise I'll just wear light stuff and get soaked to the skin.
27/07/2009 at 12:50
I agree with md6. Running in the rain can be great fun! Almost like a challenge to the gods...

So if it starts raining, just shake your fist at the sky and shout "COME ON THEN!!! IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO???"

Love it.

All the fear, no idea.
27/07/2009 at 13:11
Loving the sod the elements, lets just run mentality.

Great to know I'm not the only one, GAT officer thinks I'm mad running in the rain

Some of the best things in life may be free, but the very best comes as three.

London Duathlon (Short Course) - 1hr 15m 45sec
27/07/2009 at 13:14
I agree with TRIumphant, its the most fun i have running in maelstroms! jacket wise, i picked up a cheap mountain bike jacket for about £30, have a look in run shops as jackets are always on sale! they won't keep you bone dry, but will keep out most of the rain and more importantly the wind.

Why walk everywhere when you can run it? more time for drinking!
27/07/2009 at 13:25
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Ronhill ... 8546/#more

How dry do you reckon this would keep you? got a bit of e-fencing money to use

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
27/07/2009 at 13:35
Another vote for the 'au naturelle' option. I find the rain has pretty awesome cooling effects which means feeling fresher for longer. Not to mention I don't own a suitable waterproof jacket.
27/07/2009 at 13:38
Just get out there and run, best run I ever had was an 8 miler and at the furthest point from home I was caught in a summer storm, still puts a smile on my face thinking about it 10+ years later ;-)

Regards
Dave
----
season binned off before it started....
Your say
email image