Commute without a shower

11 messages
28/07/2009 at 15:11
I'd really like to start cycling to work, a 12k each way journey through central London. However, my office doesn't have a shower.

I don't need to wear a suit so that makes it a little easier but...does anyone have any tips other than "don't go too fast" to ensure i wouldn't end up being the bloke in the office known as Stinky? I'm also a member of a gym near my home so joining one near the office is out.

Some of the best things in life may be free, but the very best comes as three.

London Duathlon (Short Course) - 1hr 15m 45sec
md6
28/07/2009 at 15:13
Keep a deodorant and baby wipes in your desk, go slowly, don't wear a backpack (trust me on that), always wear shorts, drink lots of water and go slowly

Run hard, run fast, don't die...

28/07/2009 at 15:18
I'm always astounded when I see businessmen cycling to work in their suits... if it were me I'd be dripping with sweat in no time.

In answer to the question I run round the conrner from work to the local gym for a shower. Is there a gym nearby?

I love the smell of Neoprene in the morning
28/07/2009 at 15:19
low HR training..

good base training.

keep in Z2.. slow but will seriously help - any not much sweating!!!!

What could possibly go wrong?? and how hard can it be?????
28/07/2009 at 15:22
Leave your work clothes in the office, wear wicking clothes for the ride and leave a towel and some anti persprirant in the office too.

....surviving only on warm urine and hot doggers.......

http://www.justgiving.com/David-Battersby
28/07/2009 at 17:27
Thanks all. Towel and baby wipes it it!

Purpously trying to go slow....hmmm, that'll be a new one.

Some of the best things in life may be free, but the very best comes as three.

London Duathlon (Short Course) - 1hr 15m 45sec
28/07/2009 at 17:29
I always slow down when behind some hot chick in park...they speed up...i guess that must be pretty suspicious especially when i speed up after them. Thats why glasgow produces so many good female athletes

....surviving only on warm urine and hot doggers.......

http://www.justgiving.com/David-Battersby
28/07/2009 at 17:51
Hit the toilets and start splashing around likes it 1999 ... i always give the floor a quick dry after my 'morning freshen up' (wash) in the toilet sink .. we do have showers here but my ride is only 15mins max so not worthy of a second morning shower, plus i hit the gym at lunch.

Also, buy a desk fan (3 speed) .. my most crucial desk accessory.
28/07/2009 at 20:21
our tropps learn to do a FULL personal cleanse with a MUG of water. Including their teeth.

Strip wash at the sink can;t be that difficult /

didds
28/07/2009 at 21:25
I did have this problem and the only way I got around it was by joining gym close to my work did a quick workout, shower then go to work. It keeps you extra fit but is expensive, but then you save money on driving.

My boss then said he'd put a shower in my work how cool is that?? It is a nightmare though if your commute is over three miles, mine is seventeen.
28/07/2009 at 23:14
Make sure you get fragrance free baby wipes with no moisturisers in them, otherwise you'll smell and feel all wierd.
Your say
email image