Total immersion Swimming techniques

31 messages
15/11/2006 at 01:46
Thought i would share my experience of practicing these technique drills.

Prior to this i could swim 25m in 24 strokes and approx 27secs. (including push off and taking it very easy)

I am part way through the drills and can now do 25m in 17/18 strokes (16 if i get it just right) and about the same time. Again, taking it very easy.

i would recommend this book to anyone. not bought the DVD as free clips of most of the drills are on the Total immersion website.

Watched a clip of Alexander Popov practicing some of the drills. if its good enough for him its good enough for me.

ABILITY IS WHAT YOU'RE CAPABLE OF DOING.......
MOTIVATION DETERMINES WHAT YOU DO......
ATTITUDE DETERMINES HOW WELL YOU DO IT!!!!!!!
15/11/2006 at 05:40
Agree 101% ![:)]

Its a fantastic style thats taylor made for wetsuit bouyant conditions IMHO.

Opened my eyes to learning to swim, Bigtime.

The 'Triathlon swimming made easy is a great book, is this the one you have?

Cheers

Win or lose, Sink or swim, one thing is certain, Ill never give in!
15/11/2006 at 05:56
The book i have bought is called "TOTAL IMMERSION" "A REVOLUTIONARY WAY TO SWIM BETTER, FASTER, AND EASIER". Its the revised and updated version.

I think all the drills are the same though.

22/11/2006 at 23:30
Nevertoolate, where are the free clips on the website cos I can't find them anywhere?!?!

Cheers.
23/11/2006 at 01:26
It is a tpe of technique but not the only one. I agree with most of the swim phase, i.e. body straight, low head etc but I disagree with the early hand entry and pulling only when the hand is 6 to 8 inches below the surface. I pull as soon as my hand reaches the surface and my hand is fully extended. I also agrre wiht the TI roll which I am practising at the moment.

If it is helping then great - by the way was that 17 strokes counting both arms or just the one arm.

Ian

SŽjours Triathlon et VŽlo dans les PyrŽnŽes
www.pyreneesmultisport.com
23/11/2006 at 07:16
The link is below.
It is counting both hands i.e. each hand entry.

http://www.totalimmersion.co.uk/ti-workshop-day.html

24/11/2006 at 00:46
16 or 17 strokes is not bad in a 25m pool. I was counting this morning and I was doing average 16.

I have started to concentrate on the roll and pulling as I roll. This allows much more forward motion while my recover elbow is high in the air before entering the water at full stretch. I keep my head low in the water as the do in TI but my arms are totally different.

I still do not see the nenefit of entering as soon as possible but then everyone to their own.

Ian

SŽjours Triathlon et VŽlo dans les PyrŽnŽes
www.pyreneesmultisport.com
24/11/2006 at 04:06
Have not got that technical yet. When it comes to the swimming discipline I am a complete novice (as far as technique is concerned). I simply just wait and try and "hold" (with my extended arm/hand) onto the water whilst my recovering arm gets back round to infront of me.
I keep in my mind "extend"----"pause"------"pull". Seems to be working. Its hard to say really as I am always training on my own. Might look like a complete plonker to an experienced swimmer.
Going to get some coaching in new year after I join Manchester tri club.

04/12/2006 at 21:36
i bought the TI book yesterday (as my swimming is awful and still keep head out of water!!) and it looks really good

will be trying lesson 1 tonight
05/12/2006 at 00:06
Hi Steveslay,
let me know how you get on. My swimming is also not brilliant and I need to gt to grips with some proper trainng rather than just ploughing up and down the pool each time. I would be really interested to know how you progress.
Cheers, Matt
05/12/2006 at 01:30
Hi Steveslay,
be patient with the drills and don't move on until you have got to grips with the drill being practiced. it has taken me between 12 - 15 sessions to work through all the drills.

12/12/2006 at 02:06
tried out lessons one and two on friday and found it quite difficult to know whether i was doing the right thing or not

also checked how many strokes i was doing per 25m length and averaged 30!! so think i need to have a one to one lesson or two before i really get stuck into the lessons
12/12/2006 at 06:16
Stick with it mate! I could swim 10 meters when i started training 5 months back and can go over a mile using TI strokes now.

If you can learn balance first then it makes the more advanced stuff easier by far.

Good luck with it, those 30 strokes could be down to 20 within 3 to 4 weeks.

Win or lose, Sink or swim, one thing is certain, Ill never give in!
12/12/2006 at 07:56
Stick with it. It all starts to make more sense as you get towards the end of the drills. i always studied the clips on the total immersion web site just before my swim practice.

22/12/2006 at 05:43
I have this book too, feels very awkward putting the drills into practice and gave up. After reading this thread I am going to try again after Xmas. Desperate to get my 20 to 24 lengths per stroke down.

The older I get, the faster I was.
Rew
10/01/2007 at 01:06
I'd echo what everyone else has been saying. I came down from 24 to 16/17 strokes per length.
It does take a while to get used to but it's well worth it. You do seem to used a lot less effort using this method.

www.justgiving.com/rewslondontri.
for LEUKAEMIA RESEARCH.
20/03/2007 at 22:36
just thought id update you on my swimming, joined the tri club in january when stroke count was about 60per 50m and head out of water whilst swimming

going twice a week has seen massive improvements with now head in water properly and hit stroke count of 50 per 50m last week and yesterday managed 50m in 44 strokes

this goes to show that you just need to stick at it and improvements will come
10/09/2008 at 21:30
Thought I would bring a different view point to this. I am a swimmer of 20+ years and made national age group standard at 16, but at breaststroke.
Even though I think my freestyle tecnique is poor, as I couldnt make a County final on it, I could always do 25m in 16 strokes and normally out of the water in top 5 - 10% on the swim leg (12th in 35-39 men at London)

But........I decided I needed to re-look at my swimming and through TI have got it down to 12 - 13 strokes for 25m, but I find it absolutely knackering, compared to how I am used to. Havent swum any real distance in anger yet using TI, but not convinced I will not be able to hold the technique for 800, never mind 1500, having swum so long with the same style.

How TI breaks it down is fascinatiing and this video really shows it off well, but I wonder if its just too late for me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

Stratford Sprint : 1h 13m 25s
Eton (18/5): 1h 7m 59s
Dorney 10k (7/6): 43.19
Windsor (15/6): 2h 32m 58s
Steelman (13/7): 2h 21m 57s
London (10/8): 2h 21m 05s
Bristol Half (14/9): 1h 36m 57s
XTT (27/9)
London Half
10/09/2008 at 21:46
but I find it absolutely knackering, compared to how I am used to.

oh I'm so glad it isn't just me!! I have a pretty poor stroke count - 15 for a 20m pool I blame this on my rubbish technique, the fact that I haven't been swimming front crawl all that long and the fact that I'm short - my coach says the latter is an excuse but I'm convinced it makes a difference!

Anyway, if I plod up and down in my usual comfortable manner I can happliy do 2km in around 45 mins and at the end of it I feel fine. BUT when we do stroke count drills - 8 lengths and I'm gasping for air and trashed!!

and so stroke count drills help me because.....

(I know they do really but sometimes it's hard to see it)

legalbeagle

It takes a lot of will-power to stay this slow!
10/09/2008 at 22:20
I also find the TI technique more tiring, from extensive testing I think I've worked out why.

When I learnt the TI technique i changed from a flutter kick to 2 beat, its not a very good 2 beat to be honest, and doesn't instigate the amount of body rotation it should.
So the first thing I have noticed is that I now have a more pronounced pull, i think it was to compensate for my loss of speed thanks to the reduced kick. I now have a pretty good and powerful pull, but its a bit too powerful, i find i try and pull back far too much to maintain speed, i think this is the first thing that knackers me out.

next thing, when i swim normally I have a really good rhythm, i think this is the most important thing in swimming, my body never stops rotating, as a result i never loose much momentum between pulls. However with the TI swimming, taking advantage of the glide phase I find i rotate- pause-rotate. I find this causes a more stunted rhythm, so i am trying to accelerate each time I pull, which goes back to the knackered arms from the first point!

I like the idea of the TI technique, i do. I think the way it is taught helps people get a real appreciation of the principles of swimming, i.e. rotation. And can teach people to swim, where other methods have failed. But, i dont think its anything revolutionary, yes it would have been about 30-40years ago prior to Spitz, as the whole body rotation concept was pretty new back then. I think a quote about spitz went something like, "he could go alot faster if he didnt do all that body rotation" when we know now its the rotation that made him go fast.
But for me, no its not for me.