Gym v Outdoor Training

13 messages
09/04/2009 at 01:06
Hiya

as a runner in a club, I very rarely run on a treadmill - cant stand them, even if its raining I will run outdoors. But thats personal preference, however its totally different.

Now as a new person to Tri I wanted to get out on my bike from day 1, but early dark nights meant I couldnt- no safe really.
So I started Spin classes in a gym alongside gym bikes too and now the nights are lighter I am cycling outdoors now.

Think its what you prefer BUT remember you will be outdoors eventually and its best to train in the environment you will be racing in ie:
roads
hills and flat
weather!

I wont be going back to cycling in the gym now til winter again when its dark at 4pm! ( unless I trash my bike in the meantime and need a back up!)

I do all my own stunts
09/04/2009 at 01:06
I was wondering how much training people do in a gym / on a turbo rather than outdoors. When I went from treadmill to outdoor running I found it a huge difference in difficulty. It looks like I'm going to be doing a fair amount of training on a stationary bike over the next few months and wouldn't want the same thing to happen.

Cheers.

Some of the best things in life may be free, but the very best comes as three.

London Duathlon (Short Course) - 1hr 15m 45sec
09/04/2009 at 01:40
Running on a treadmill is like punching a punch bag. When the big day comes neither will serve you well

....surviving only on warm urine and hot doggers.......

http://www.justgiving.com/David-Battersby
09/04/2009 at 01:56
Hey Meakie,

Thanks for that. Yeah I much prefer outdoor running now, it's been a year or so since I've been on a treadmill. Prefer cycling outdoor too but it's looking like I may be bike-less for a few more months. Time to beg or borrow a bike I think and make the most of the evenings. Did the spinning at least give you a bit of a base to work from?

Some of the best things in life may be free, but the very best comes as three.

London Duathlon (Short Course) - 1hr 15m 45sec
09/04/2009 at 02:13
Treadmills can be quite useful for learning pacing and for threshold sessions. I have to say though, now the sun is out and the evenings are lighter, you won't be seeing me on one for while.
09/04/2009 at 18:36
Hey Swizzle

the spin classes helped my legs to realise how hard cycling can be cos I am not a cyclist and aint been out on my bike for ages, and with doing squats etc in the class and high resistance work it strengthened my legs quite well, I did the classes twice a week and really pushed myself.
I would recommend them if you want to do them alongside your other training ( eg whilst you are sorting a bike out). be prepared for the class to just be full of people who wanna chat tho and gossip whilst doing it - annoyed the pants off me to be honest - but I just got my head down and got on with it cos I knew I had a goal- the tri!
I think the classes deffo give you a good base.

I do all my own stunts
09/04/2009 at 19:10
for the first time this winter I have done my running training indoors and bike a mixture and I have ended up with a real knot in my calf due to running on a tread mill. I have run since then outside and been fine still sore from the treadmill

so my advice where posiable keep to the real stuff rather than the fake machines

Another weekend must mean it race time again
10/04/2009 at 00:26
I love the folk who come to me & tell me the gym needs air con.
So, on this warm/sunny day you thought I know I'll put me old t shirt & last years holiday showyerbumshorts on, go into a room with a bunch of other folks in, get on a moving belt & try to keep up and then be surprised when you get hot, then tell me I need to keep the room cooler. Outside anyone? you know it makes sense.

Of course I can eat that....I am an athlete.
10/04/2009 at 01:50
meakie wrote:

Hey Swizzle

the spin classes helped my legs to realise how hard cycling can be cos I am not a cyclist and aint been out on my bike for ages, and with doing squats etc in the class and high resistance work it strengthened my legs quite well, I did the classes twice a week and really pushed myself.
I would recommend them if you want to do them alongside your other training ( eg whilst you are sorting a bike out). be prepared for the class to just be full of people who wanna chat tho and gossip whilst doing it - annoyed the pants off me to be honest - but I just got my head down and got on with it cos I knew I had a goal- the tri!
I think the classes deffo give you a good base.

Anyone who has the breath to chat in a spin class really shouldn't be there...!?

Pain is just weakness leaving the body. http://www.hdcc.co.uk

GGB
10/04/2009 at 08:13
have never been to a proper Gym in my life - and don't expect I ever will ;) .. all my training is done IMO where it should be ... running outside, cycling outside and swimming either in a pool or outside in OW. I have a few pieces of Gym equipment I use at home but at the moment I rarely do. I have never understood why people go to a Gym to cycle or Run :S ...

Castle Combe Chilli Duathlon - 59.38
IMUK 70.3 Wimbleball - 6:12.53
IMUK Bolton - 12:21.49
Newbury Sprint -
10/04/2009 at 09:36
Gym and turbo are good but not as good as the real thing
11/04/2009 at 07:16
Outdoors, Outdorrs, outdoors.

The gym drives me in saine. I cant stand running on a treadmill looking at myself in a mirror. i also hate the attitude you get from the meat heads and people who love themselves.

i do it all outside all year around. That is exept swimming.

Only the mind sets the limits! I dont mind at all!!!!
11/04/2009 at 07:33
i use the threadmill for every second run, as soon as the mileage starts racking up.
great active recovery.

not every one who strength trains is a meat head, b.t.w.
Your say
email image