Live Q&A with Joe Beer

Starts at 10am on Friday 14th February

25 messages
14/02/2014 at 11:14

Thank you for the questions and the 300+ views that this thread has had. It looks like we will have to do this again. Maybe on a regular basis...

See you at the TriathlonShow

JB

Tri & Cycle coach, Magazine columnist & Author. Proud to be Scott-Sports, PowerBar, Speedo and Rotor brand ambassador - Podcast since '06 bit.ly/JBSTpod

Jamie220
14/02/2014 at 11:17

Great thanks Joe.

Let's wrap up this live Q&A, thanks to everyone who posted questions, and a big thank you to Joe for kindly giving us his time and expert knowledge today.

See you at the Triathlon Show in a couple of weeks everyone!

14/02/2014 at 12:00

Hi Joe

My resting heart rate has shot up to 50-53 this week from a normal rate of 42-44bpm. I feel well and training is also going fine, though I am doing a larger volume than I would normally do. All other indicators look good. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Regards

14/02/2014 at 14:02
Thanks for your input joe very much appreciated.
14/02/2014 at 16:36

Okay Chris, late to the party but I've just checked in again and want to answer your question...

Any significant increase in resting HR needs to be taken as a "red flag".

This does not mean stop, go to bed and say you're ill.

However, be it dehydration, lack of good sleep, late nights, mental stress, OR total training load build up - there's something to acknowledge and to then make one or two actions to see it does not end up as something more serious.

You probably need a few lighter days, acknowledging that you have done the training to get into this situation (which is a good thing) BUT that we are not trying to see who can push their RHR to breaking point.

So its a warning shot across the bow, a slight tweak to your current training - airing on the side of a slight drop in duration of sessions and frequency for 2-4 days - they you will see RHR resume and a sense of added fitness/freshness come to the fore.

Thanks for a great question.

Tri & Cycle coach, Magazine columnist & Author. Proud to be Scott-Sports, PowerBar, Speedo and Rotor brand ambassador - Podcast since '06 bit.ly/JBSTpod

Your say
email image